Michel Ibrahim, MD, PhD
Dean of the School, 1982-1996
As a UNC alumnus (master’s of public health in biostatistics) and professor and chair of UNC’s epidemiology department, Ibrahim:
- SECURED state funding for McGavran-Greenberg Hall and the Herman G. Baity Environmental Engineering Laboratory
- ENCOURAGED interdisciplinary teaching and research
- BANNED smoking in public health buildings in 1989
- ESTABLISHED the Board of Advisors to help the School meet the needs of community public health entities
- SERVED as historian for the School by commissioning the book Dreaming of a Time: The School of Public Health, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1939-1989.
“When I took over, the School was well respected nationally. My job was to preserve that high standing and improve on it if I could. One of the first things I wanted to do was get the building for the School, because you can’t achieve your mission without proper facilities.”
Ibrahim is now UNC professor emeritus and professor of epidemiology at Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health.