Borrow, Renew, Recall
- Who can check out materials?
- How long can I check out materials?
- How do I renew materials?
- Where do I return materials?
- A book I need is checked out. Can I place a hold/recall on the book?
- I need a book from another campus library. Can I have it sent to HSL?
- I need materials that UNC-Chapel Hill does not own. How can I request these materials and what is the cost?
Computing, Printing, Scanning
- Where are computers located in the library?
- What software is available on the computer?
- How do I connect to the campus wireless network from my laptop?
- Where can I make copies?
- Can I make color copies?
- What is the cost to use the copier?
- Where are the CCI printers located?
- How can I print from my personal laptop?
- Can I print in color?
- How do I add money to my UNC Onecard?
- Do you have scanners available to use?
For Faculty and Staff
- I need to reserve a room in the HSL for a class/meeting. What do I do?
- Are HSL Librarians available to help with in-class instruction on searching?
- I understand there are library liaisons for each of the schools. How do I find the one for mine?
- Are there library materials I can access from my mobile device?
- Can I reserve a study room in the library?
- I need to create/print a poster. Can you help?
- Can you assist me in using EndNote, Sciwheel or Mendeley for my research?
- Can I access library materials from home?
- I’m looking for materials on evidence based practice. Can you help?
- As an alumni of UNC-Chapel Hill, can I access materials?
- I would like to donate to the library. How do I accomplish this?
- Where is the library located?
- Where can I park on campus?
- Are computers available for non-UNC affiliates?
For Medical Residents
Where in the Library
- Does the library have a lost and found?
- Can I check out headphones or dry erase markers to use in the library?
- Is there a phone I can use in the library?
- Where are the books/journals before 1990? Does this include oversized books?
Whom do I contact
- How do get to a book/journal I need using the shelving in the Basement?
- How can I make a suggestion or register a complaint?
- There is a book/journal I think the library should own. How can I request the library make a purchase?
- The HSL is awesome! Where can I give kudos to the library?
I need to reserve a room in the HSL for a class/meeting. What do I do?
Conference, classrooms and videoconferencing rooms can be reserved within the HSL. To reserve any of these rooms, use our Reserve a Room form.
Instruction can be scheduled and designed to meet the needs of your class or group. Classes may meet at your regular location or in one of the library’s computer-equipped classrooms. To schedule a class, please use our Request for Library Instruction form
Get to know the librarian for your school, department, or program by visiting our Meet Your Librarian page.
Many of the library’s resources can be accessed via iPhones, Androids, or iPads. To see a listing, visit our Health at Hand: Mobile Resources guide.
Yes, you can reserve a group study room via our online reservation system.
Visit our Citing and Writing page. There you will find guides and links to set up a consultation with a librarian to help you with each of these programs.
Most electronic journals, databases, and books are accessible off-campus to students, faculty, and staff. You will need your Onyen login and password to access these licensed resources. More information on accessing resources can be found on our Accessing Resources page.
Many of the services provided by the UNC Health Sciences Library (HSL) are available to alumni of the UNC-Chapel Hill Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Public Health, particularly if you become a member of the Friends of the Health Sciences Library. A full listing of alumni services offered can be found on our Alumni Services page.
There are many ways to donate to the HSL. The Health Sciences Library is currently not accepting books or journals. You can become a Friend of the HSL! Gifts can be given in many different ways to HSL. For more information, please visit our Make a Donation page.
Clearance sheets can be signed by staff at the service desk. You must not owe any fines or fees at any campus library or have any books checked out. Electronic access stops when the clearance sheet is signed so make sure your work requiring e-resources is completed.
Yes. It is located at the service desk on the First floor.
Yes. You can check out these items at the service desk on the First floor. Bring your UNC Onecard!
The library does have a campus phone for use on the First floor in the photocopy area.
Books and journals published before 1990 are located in the Basement. All oversized books are located on the Third floor.
Please visit our compact shelving page for information on using these shelves. If you still have problems, please go to the User Services Desk on First floor for assistance.
There are suggestion/feedback boxes available on the First and Second floors of the library. You can also send your suggestion/complaint via our Share Your Feedback form.
There is a book/journal I think the library should own. How can I request the library make a purchase?
You can submit a recommendation by choosing and completing one of the request forms offered on our Request a Title for Purchase page.
Thank you! We have several ways you can give us feedback on how we are doing: