Impact Measurement & Visualization @ HSL
The Research Hub @ The Health Sciences Library partners with the UNC-Chapel Hill community on impact measurement and visualization projects in support of research, education, and clinical care.
Health Sciences Library impact measurement and visualization (IMV) specialists consult with individual faculty, research groups, institutes, departments or other units on topics such as:
- communicating research impact to audiences such as funders or promotion and tenure committees
- managing or tracking publications
- measuring or assessing research impact by discipline area
HSL IMV specialists partner with individual faculty, research groups, institutes, departments or other units and use a wide collection of resources, including Scopus, Web of Science, Journal Citation Reports, and more, to provide services and reports for different purposes, including:
- identify patterns, trends, and gaps of unit-supported research, education or clinical care activities utilizing publication and/or other available data
- bibliometric analysis and visualization to provide an overview of research publications and other outputs by a specific group
- discover the scope and pattern of research collaborations (e.g. author collaboration, institution collaboration, and country collaboration)
Resources and References
- We maintain the Measure Your Research Impact guide.
Yu, Fei, and Barrie E. Hayes. 2018. “Applying Data Analytics and Visualization to Assessing the Research Impact of the Cancer Cell Biology (CCB) Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.” Journal of eScience Librarianship 7(1): e1123. https://doi.org/10.7191/jeslib.2018.1123
“Health Sciences Library helps UNC demonstrate impact.” Vital Signs, March 22, 2018. http://news.unchealthcare.org/som-vital-signs/2018/march-22/health-sciences-library-helps-unc-demonstrate-impact
Xing, Z., Yu, F., Mustafa, Y., Guan, T., Walker, J., & Song, L. Intelligent Conversational Agents in Patient Self-management: A Systematic Survey Using Multi Data Sources. Poster session presented at the 17th World Congress on Medical and Health Informatics, Lyon France.
Events & Outreach
Throughout the year, we offer a series of Research Hub events and workshops related to data visualization methods and software, and are developing new offerings on impact measurement for 2018. You can learn about upcoming Research Hub events by consulting the Research Hub Events Calendar and/or joining the Research Hub Events Notification listserv.