Computing, Printing, Scanning
- Where are the computers located in the library?
- Are computers available for non-UNC affiliates?
- What software is available on the computers?
- How do I connect to the campus wireless network from my laptop?
- Can I borrow a laptop to use in the library?
- Can I download or save materials on the computers?
- Can I access resources via my mobile phone/iPad?
- How can I connect to the plasma screens in the study rooms?
- Where can I make copies?
- How do I pay for copies/printing?
- Can I make color copies?
- Do you have a coin-operated copier?
- What is the cost to use the copier?
- Where are the CCI printers located?
- Can non-UNC affiliates print from the computers?
- How can I print from my personal laptop?
- Are there other CCI printers located nearby?
- Can I print in color?
- What is the cost of printing?
- How can I add money to my UNC Onecard?
- How can I get a guest card to use for printing/copying?
- I need to create/print a poster. Can you help?
- Basement (PCs)
- First floor (PCs, Macs, ADA computer, and scanning stations)
- Third and Fourth floors on the curved tables in front of the elevators (PCs)
- You will need a guest pass from the service desk by showing a valid photo ID
- The computers located on the curved tables in front of the elevators on the First floor are open for guest usage
- Guest passes are good for 60 minues for the day, however you can decide how to use it (all at once vs. 20 minutes for three sessions throught the day)
Computers located in the Basement and on the curved tables in front of the elevators on First, Third and Fourth
- Windows XP
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Web browsers: Internet Explorer and Firefox
- Microsoft Office 2007:
- Access (database development application)
- Excel (spreadsheet application)
- PowerPoint (presentation development application)
- Publisher (publication development application)
- Word (word processing application)
- Media players: Windows Media Player, iTunes, Real Player, QuickTime
- RefWorks Write-N-Cite
Computers located on the First floor by the group study rooms
These computers require an Onyen login. The computers do have the Microsoft Office suite and web browsers already installed. Additional software can be accessed from the ITS Virtual Lab link on the desktop. For a complete list of software available, please visit the ITS Computer Lab support page. For help using the virtual computing options at UNC, visit our guide.
For UNC Affiliates
Your laptop or wireless device must be registered and configured with the UNC Network. For information on registering and connecting to the UNC Network, please visit the ITS guide Connecting to the UNC Network – Getting Started.
For non-UNC affiliates, guests and visitors
Guest wireless access is available throughout the HSL via the UNC-Guest wireless account. This service provides web, email, and VPN access to off-campus destinations and web only access to on campus hosts, once you accept the terms and conditions. The UNC-Guest account does not provide access to library resources.
- Check out from the User Services Desk on the First floor
- Four hour check out with UNC Onecard, UNC Hospital badge, or Borrower’s Card and photo ID
- Loan period: Laptops must be returned 30 minutes before the library closes
Computer users can save materials either by emailing to your personal email account (ex. Yahoo, Gmail…) or by saving to a flash drive (you will need to bring your own). Computers do not allow downloading software.
Many of the library’s resources can be accessed via iPhones, Androids, or iPads. To see a listing, vist our Health at Hand: Mobile Resources guide.
The User Services Desk has Mac and HDMI dongles available for checkout.
Copiers are located in the Basement and First floors of the library in the photocopy area
- UNC Onecard: Uses money from your expense account. This is not your CCI account which you may use to print. If you need to deposit money on your expense account, you can do so at the Tar Heel Teller or on the UNC Onecard’s website.
- UNC guest card (available from the Tar Heel Teller)
Do you have coin-operated copiers?
The HSL does not have a coin-operated copier available.
|Basement and First floors||$.14 per page|
|Basement (Color)||$.50 per page|
First floor photocopy area
Non-UNC affiliates should send print jobs to the Guest printer on the computers on the curved desk on the First floor.
For UNC affiliates
- Install the CCI printers on your laptop
- Send the print job to the CCI printer (use your Onyen as your print name)
Printing to the CCI printers is not allowed from laptops accessing the UNC Guest wireless account.
- School of Public Health (Rosenau Hall Room 201)
- Global Education Center
- Complete map of CCI printer locations
Yes, a color printer is available in the First floor photocopy area. Be sure to send the print job to the CCI Color printer.
|Guest printing||$.10 per page|
|CCI printing||$.10 per page (See FAQs)|
|CCI Color printing||$.30 per page|
- Tar Heel Teller, First Floor
Accepts $1, $5, $10, and $20 bills.
Change available at User Services Desk.
- Add value to One Cards online with your Credit Card
- Purchase from Tar Heel Teller on First Floor for $1.
- Starts with a zero balance. Add value before using.
The Library offers the following guides to help you create your poster:
You have several options available to you for printing your poster. You can use:
- The Lineberger Cancer Center printing service.
- The Print Shop in Student Stores.
- PhD Posters, which does deliver to the HSL.
Scanners are located on the First Floor. PID or Guest pass access required.
Yes, you will need to get a guest pass from the service desk. You will need a valid photo ID to obtain the pass.