- What services are offered?
- Who can use the service?
- What are reserves?
- How long will it take to process?
- When is material taken off reserve?
The Health Sciences Library places books, class readers, audiovisuals and other course items on Library Reserve.
Links to electronic information and material, otherwise known as Electronic Reserves, can be accessed both on- and off-campus 24 hours a day.
The library’s consultation services can help locate or suggest print, audiovisual, software and electronic materials anytime during the semester. Contact us at 962-0800 or submit a consultation request through Ask-a-Librarian.
For other questions concerning Electronic and/or Library Reserves, please contact us at 962-0800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Sciences Library Reserves provides service to faculty, staff, and students within UNC’s division of Health Affairs, including the following departments/schools:
- School of Dentistry
- School of Medicine
- Department of Allied Health Sciences
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Public Health
- UNC Hospitals
Reserves are course-specific material set aside from the library’s main collection with the purpose of making it easier for students to locate and view. Reserves can come in two forms: Library Reserves and Electronic Reserves. Library Reserves are physical items placed on shelves near the User Services Desk in the library. Electronic Reserves are documents that are posted online.
Additionally, reserves can only be processed at the request of the instructor, teaching assistant, or other designated individual.
Most importantly, reserve items are time-limited. Material cannot be left on reserve indefinitely; all material will be taken off reserve at the end of that semester/year and returned/re-shelved.
The length of time necessary to process reserves depends upon when material was submitted. Below are general rules:
- If turning in material before the deadline, reserves will be ready in time for the start of the upcoming semester.
- If turning in material after the deadline up until the first few weeks of class, please expect delays; it may take several weeks to complete. Please note that we cannot guarantee the availability of these materials for the first day or week of class.
- If turning in material after the first 4-6 weeks of class, completion time may take 2-4 business days.
- You may submit reserve requests during the regular semester up through the last day of class. No submission will be accepted during final exams.
Materials will be removed from reserves after the final exams of the specific course for which they were provided. Reserve materials are not automatically renewed. Instructors, teaching assistants, or designated individuals are resposible for resubmitting the materials for each semester.
- Electronic Reserves: all links must be removed and/or broken, in accordance with copyrights, and will not be accessible online. The copies of the readings that were originally submitted will be either sent back via campus mail or left at the User Services Desk for pickup.
- Library Reserves: all library-, personal-, and departmental-owned material will be taken off reserve and returned either to library stacks or to the proper owner.
Remember: If wanting to place items on reserve again for a future semester, whether Electronic OR Library, all requests must be resubmitted before the posted deadline.